Thursday, February 08, 2007

School Improvement Day

In a district that my children attended for several years in California, the official term for the in-service days (when the teachers attended for training but the children stayed home) was a SIP day: School Improvement Day. It was named after the ubiquitous School Improvement Plans that all districts are required to write and implement. Every district is mandated by the various levels of government to have on-going teacher training.

But, one of my friends used to laugh and say, "Sure, what better way to improve the school than to have all the students stay home!"

We had a SIP day today...they don't call it that here in Nevada. But the effect is the same when the teachers are all there, but the students stay home! But, seriously, we had a training day, and the presentations were uncharacteristically useful and interesting. It was a good way to end my four week track break. I even had a chance to reorganize my room and revise my lesson plans before diving back into the whole wild scene--that'll happen Monday when the students return. Tomorrow--another IMPROVED DAY!!!

No comments: