Monday, October 23, 2006

Just Gonna Say It!

I have experienced an overdose of parents saying or writing to me this year something like this:

"I think you aren't being fair to [fill in child's name here] because [he/she] is Black."

"How many other Black children in your room do you treat this way?"

"How can you be fair to my child since he is Black?"

Well, my response to future remarks along these lines is:

"It sounds like you have had bad experiences with white people. I haven't had bad experiences with Black students. Our job here is to help your child succeed in school this year. We're the grown-ups, so let's team up to do whatever we need to so fourth grade will be successful ."

2 comments:

Th. said...

.

I have this lurking dread of this happening to me.

For better or worse, I've never taught somewhere where parents cared enough to even accuse me of racism.

(probably worse)

B.G. Christensen said...

Sounds like the perfect response.